The Women's Empowerment in Agriculture Index[02-08-2012]
Researchers at IFPRI and OPHI have piloted surveys in Guatemala, Bangladesh, and Uganda. These three countries were chosen because they have substantial variation in gender norms and socioeconomic conditions.
The surveys have identified the precise variables that measure aspects in the following five domains:
- Women’s role in household decision making around agricultural production
- Women’s access to productive capital
- Women’s control of income
- Women’s individual leadership and influence in the community
- Women’s time allocations.
The Index will be used by USAID for both performance monitoring and impact evaluation purposes.
The public version is expected to be available in March 2012.
More information available at the following link